Monday, December 13, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Walnut Muffins

This is the 4th recipe out of a promised 12 before Christmas. That leaves me 12 days to make 8 more desserts. Mmmm...I love a delicious challenge.

I know I did a whole "An Apple a Day Recipe" back when it was more fall than wintery outside. BUT, I found the recipe for these delightful muffins on a great newbie food blog, Bake for Happy Kids. (It's fun following a blog from all the way around the world -Australia.) They looked too good not to try for a holiday treat (and ended up being a hit at my morning choir rehearsal!)
Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Crunchy Walnuts Toppings  
2 eggs
1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil (I use a stick (125g) butter, melted)
1/2 cup (125ml) apple juice (I didn't have any apple juice but these still worked fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup diced apples (2-3 depending on size of apples) (I used 2 Pink Lady apples)
1 cup (160g) wholemeal plain flour
1 cup (150g) plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup (90g) roasted nuts (I use raw walnuts instead)
1/2 cup (85g) raisins

Crunchy topping
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar (I used normal white sugar)
1/2 cup (70g) roasted nuts (I used raw walnuts that ended up "roasting" in the oven)
1 1/2 ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). Line or butter a 12 hole muffin tin.
2. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, oil, apple juice and vanilla extract. Then, stir in the diced apples.
3. Combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into another bowl. Whisk all together for a min. Add nuts and raisins and toss them so they are completely coated in flour mixture.
4. Pour the apple mixture into the flour mixture and site them together into a chunky batter. Do not overdo the mixing. Divide the batter equally between the muffin holes.
5. For the crunchy topping, mix together all ingredients and sprinkle the topping evenly onto each muffin.
6. Bake for 20 min or until skewer inserted come out clean. Let the muffins rest in the tin for 2 min and then transfer them to cool further on wire rack. Great to eat while they are warm either as is, or with butter or Ricotta.

Note: I made 12 standard sizes muffins and 8 mini ones from this recipe. The mini ones are extra nice to pop into your mouth when still warm.
Bake well and prosper!

3 comments:

Thanks for taking time to leave a message! xo - EB